Gateway to Heaven – The play and the book. Fifty years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History.
Following the writing of the play version of Gateway to Heaven, which is based entirely on memories from older lesbians and gay men, two national tours and the adaptation of this production into a film commissioned by Age Concern, Opening Doors, Clare now gives a talk about the research of this play and the interviews she had with thirty older people about their own experiences of growing up lesbian and gay and living in a world for much of their lives where the majority of society did not accept their sexuality. This talk is particularly popular in LGBT History Month.
Gateway to Heaven – The Book (Published 2012) and Website www.gatewaytoheaven.co.uk
Clare has written a book of memories from 46 older LGBT people called Gateway To Heaven, published by Tollington Press. Visit www.gatewaytoheaven.co.uk for orders and details about book readings and signings.
Extract from Clare’s Presentational Talk, Gateway to Heaven
2015 UPCOMING TALKS
Thurs 21st May
Clare will be giving a presentational talk at SAND’s conference (Safe Ageing No Discrimination) Personal Lives – Personal Care.
From 14:30 to 17:00 Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Free event but booking essential. See http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/personal-lives-personal-care-tickets-16162211610
TALKS delivered during LGBT HISTORY MONTH 2013.
- Mon 4th Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History. HMRC Dept for Business Innovation and Skills Conference. London.
- Thurs 7th Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History. Teeside University.
- Fri 8th Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History. Gays the Word Bookshop.
- Tues 12th Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History. Manchester City Library.
- Fri 15th Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History at Birmingham LGBT Centre
- Tues 19th Feb 2013Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History at South Bank University.
- Thurs 21st Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History at Birmingham University
- Mon 25th Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History at LSE.
- Tues 26th Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History at Polari, South Bank.
- Thurs 28th Feb 2013 Gateway To Heaven – Fifty Years of Lesbian and Gay Oral History at the Phoenix Artist Club.
This is a talk about the writing and research of HEARING VOICES, a play that Clare wrote, which was published by Tollington Press. It is based entirely on interviews with Mental Health service users who all became friends on a secure psychiatric ward where they met Clare. She has previously given this talk at events such as the LGBT Mental Health NHS Conference (Herts), a conference on Self Harm at The University of Lancashire, Richmond Fellowship Trust, Maytree Event (a sanctuary for the suicidal) and PACE (the LGBT mental health organisation).
After being commissioned by the Metropolitan Police and Age Concern to write and produce the film “Queens’ Evidence” (about the relationship between the police and older LGBT people, looking at why there is there a low rate of reporting hate crimes from that section of society) Clare has been invited to talk to many groups and organisations about the film she made and the research she has done into this area.
Clare has given talks at numerous events, including:
- ORAL HISTORY SOCIETY
- SALFORD UNIVERSITY
- GREENWICH UNIVERSITY
- GALIPS AGM
- WEST EALING LGBT CONFERENCE
- BRADFORD PRIDE HISTORY MONTH
- ENFIELD HATE CRIME FORUM MEETING
- AGE CONCERN CAMDEN, AGM
- GAY AND GREY CONFERENCE, BOURNEMOUTH UNIVERSITY
- HMRC National LGBT CONFERENCE
Comedy Writing Workshops
Clare runs comedy writing workshops. These last approximately three hours and the participants look at how to write stand-up, comedy sketches for cabaret or radio and humorous short stories. They are not only a lot of fun and always found to be extremely encouraging to those who may sometimes hide their writing ability under a metaphorical bushel! For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details and bookings.